Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Proud Theatre Parent and other parent stuff

It's been awhile. I've been busy in theatre of all kinds but mostly at the Ottawa Little theatre as of late. So after the last few days this is how I feel......

Directing is like being a parent. You nurture and guide the play and send it on it’s way to fly on it’s own. Last night I felt like a proud momma watching her baby bird fly. Mind you I am not the director of The Ladies of the Camellias (which opens on Tuesday June 10th by the way), but I have been a close part of the development of this production helping with the casting, blocking, elements etc. Sarah listened to me, and found that I had some good ideas as did some of the actors. I gave the actors some very good guidance which is showing through. When I see them with that energy, that commitment and that fun it makes me proud to be apart of this production.

Granted there are things I would change about the show – but not a lot. I think the movement works well and everyone looks really great and committing to their roles. I wish Eddie the scenic painter at the OLT would actually do the job he gets paid for and paint the backdrop he was suppose to paint, and that The Girl actually have a second skirt for Act II so she can come in as she is suppose to – soaking wet….and then there are Sarah Bernhardt’s “feathers” on her costume……suppose to be ostrich, looks like she’s a dead seagull…but the rest of her looks GREAT. At least the actress is not letting it get to her and rising above the dead bird around her neck.

Nope, I feel other then those minor things (and maybe some lines and blocking change that are minor that I would change) , the show is getting tight and the actors are ready for their audience. I am so proud of them. They still are making me laugh with there small touches and reactions, and they are definitely ready to fly and take the audience on a fun ride.

Break a leg Cast and Crew of the Ladies of the Camellias. I’ll be watching a cheering for you from the audience on Opening night.

On another similar note; which is dog related, I am a proud “parent” of the cutest Wire Fox Terrier --Guinness. We are done Level 1 Agility. Though he’s not the brightest dog on the face of the Agility planet (and neither is his handler – ME) he LOVES playing on the field and when he gets a sequence or obstacle he really remembers and gets it. He’s a little too Handler focus (meaning he watches ME all the time instead of the obstacle he’s suppose to concur) but he’s smart and funny when he gets things…..I am proud of that little cutie pie. I just love that little dog.

No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey