Thursday, January 20, 2011

A New Year - a New Me?

I'll right, I'll admit it, I've been really terrible about blogging. I know, I know. Not that many people read it. Whilst out tonight with a certain fabulous local blogger, slam poet, writer, actor and all round sexy gal, She said "hey you haven't blogged in a while". Duh. Correct. hmm maybe I should. I guess what happened is life -- I got so busy casting my September show, rehearsing it, producing a BYOV Fringe venue, moving on to ADing for GCTC/NAC on Vimy, taking a vacay then getting back to work where it's been super busy that I had no time to breathe.

I am remedying that and I had thought I would change my focus a wee bit - I will still talk about theatre but I am toying with changing the name and focus of the blog - not sure yet. I found myself at a crossroads of sorts this last half of 2010 going into 2011. I still love doing theatre - and am pursuing more professional avenues and training especially for Directing, but I've found somethings that have pulled my focus - YOGA and a journey towards Minimalism and Mindfulness.

In terms of Yoga I was on a great path - I had been practicing Yoga on and off very sporatically since 1997, but had finally this year go up to practicing up to 3 times a week and making progress in my flexibility, breath and focus. The one major problem I've come across in the last few months trying to focus on a steady practice and ensuring I also practice at home (and I know I've hit a practice when my body ACHES to do a downward facing dogs, or Happy Baby, and I sigh in contentment doing one), i have developed major feet issues - not from the Yoga, just from...who knows. Trying to work through it so I can commit to a deepening practice - I find i want to strive to be a better person practicing yoga, and I can't stop smiling after yoga. As I do it more and more I am extremely happy and positive. That is a good thing.

This in turn has lead to thoughts and starting to put into practice a small form of Minimalism. In the last few months I felt the weight of all the "stuff" we have, making me feel like I was drowning in a sea of consumerism. I loathed it, I loved it, I had to get rid of it. (sounds like Barb in Swimming in the Shallows doesn't it?). So by some fate one morning I was talking about this weight to a friend of mine and he said, have you read about Minimalism and admitted he and his spouse were practicing it. I hadn't but through him found these amazing blogs - www.missminimalist.com and www.zenhabit.com - now I know this is going to be a long long process, but once I started culling my kitchen , and I have a long long way to go , I felt happier - gleeful even. And with that comes the wonderful thought "I don't need all this STUFF", so if I am in a store I think "Do I need that?" The answer is usually "No" and in fact I rarely go in a store now (except for groceries, and wine of course!)...so it opens a whole world of SAVING MONEY BIG TIME! I always find I have money in the bank these days because I don't spend it as much. In terms of the Minimalism start - The key is not to get overwhelmed and go room by room, slowly knowing that it is a long process. I took YEARS to get "stuff" it will take a while to get rid of it. Last week the Diabetes Foundation came by and picked up 5 boxes of "stuff". it was Good riddens to good rubbish that will help someone else. I got more. I got a bunch of stuff I want to sell by the way.......or give away....interested?

Along with Yoga and Minimalism comes Mindfulness. I made a "resolution" this year that I am trying to really be aware of what a say - it too will be a long process, but I am working on it through baby steps. Just really thinking before I speak, especially if what I will say might hurt or speak badly of someone, trying to be in the Present - even though it's tough and I may only realize I am a few minutes of every day. Again, this will take time. The Yoga helps!

All this to say - I think this year is going to be different. I am still going to do the theatre projects, but right now my focus is on cleaning house - literally and figuratively. I am sure I will stumble along the - I am going to Toronto in Feb for a Directing Workshop, and have to shop for a Dress for the wedding of the year. But other then that, here is to a clean and mindful 2011. Come along for the ride - I'd love to have ya on board with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider me ON BOARD!

I'm very excited that you're blogging again. Your new endeavours sound interesting and very worthwhile. I'm eager to see how it all unfolds for you.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey