Saturday, June 20, 2009

OREO and Fun Times at Ottawa Fringe Fest

Well I know i know, it's been MONTHS since I blogged.  Just been uber busy with new job.  We went through this huge National training of over 5400 people across Canada for a new system that processes CPP, so it was and still is quite the undertaking. The system is in place, some hiccups happening but generally a HUGE success.  Still have some training clean up and maintenance.  Whether I get to stay in the group is another story.  I can't remember what else I've been doing other then Fringe stuff.  It just seems like a blur since January when I started my new job in all other aspects of life.

Other things are coming up : my hubby is in Happy Birthday for Tototoo theatre, we both plan on auditioning for a show together, we have plans to go to Lake Placid NY at the end of July to support our good friend Jason in the Ironman (he's NUTS I tell you, NUTS!!!), as well as build a deck, going to see Bruce in NJ Giants Stadium in the Fall.....I have a show to direct next season at OLT called "Drinking Alone"....yup stuff going on.  

But enough about work and plans.  In am now into the fun times of Fringe.   In the Fall my friend Nadine asked me to direct her new show OREO which is somewhat autobiographical.  At first I was hesitant since I've never directed a new script before.  It ended up being a match made for both of us i think.  She trusted me, I trusted her and together with our ideas and her lovely and funny writing, OREO has morphed into a wonderful happenstance.   The cast is amazing - very talented acting styles of Nadine (our producer/writer/star), Robin Guy, Colleen Sutton, Sterling Lynch (the FIND of the year), and JP Chartier (my LAG alum buddy), and of course the super talented Iyono Ede (who is lead singer of the Hammerheads by the way).  

The process has been super fun....with many a box joke to be had, Sex Ed videos posted which was a funny fluke that happened at a drunken cast bonding even.  Yesterday we had a really good tech (frig that Nat Gisele ROCKS).  and opening night house was friendly, and plentiful.

NOW i have to decide what to see.  You have to see other fringe shows at Fringe not just stick to your own.  Now there are the obvious choices of friends shows: Exit Upstage (Nancy Kenny), Enter Screaming (Sarah Hearn).,...I have seen JUMP at a GCTC reading last year by Bev Wolfe.  Now I probably wont' see it again since there is so much to see but HIGHLY recommend others to go see it.  Kate Hurman is directing so it's a win win.  I'd like to see some out of towners like "On Second Thought"   Paul seems awesome.  As well as Cat Strung Violin - the gang from New Mexico, among others...have to see Sterling's show "satanic panic" - good cast going on there.  

So much see - among other things have to hang at the fun beer tent at fringe too...but then there are the obligations of friends events - friend BBQ tonight, plus next week...how does one be in many places at once?

at the end of the day....I am here to say....go SEE shows at the Ottawa Fringe Festival...especially OREO by Nadine Thornhill.  You'll be glad you did!  Life is good.

No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey