Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ottawa Fringe and Directing

I directed a show at the Fringe. I was nervous going in, but during the process I realized “I can totally do this, trust your instincts”. Course I always tell myself that but there is always that small seed of doubt. But I think my work has paid off. OREO seem to be a hit with the audiences.

I have to say I believe I am a good caster of shows. When Tim and I did the Tototoo shows in the Fall…bang, great cast. With OREO…STELLAR cast. Now I hope to have a repeat performance in October when I cast Drinking Alone for the OLT. I trust it will happen.

I have to say, something that bugs me a wee bit about reviews of shows…if your show does well often times they do not mention the Director or if they do it is very brief. If it’s bad they go on about the director, and cast, if done well they don’t always. I mean not to say I did a perfect job on OREO. I didn’t. There I things that I see now blocking wise in the actual space from afar that I would totally change – as well as I would change some light cue choices I made etc. But we just didn’t have a lot of luxury of time for many adjustments in the space. AH the wonders and joy of Fringe. But I am very happy with the show. The DQ is great, she shines as an actress, her writing is smart and funny…but the whole cast, set, etc needs a director. It didn’t all get up there on it’s feet by itself. This is a small quibble I must say and I am saying it. I take it that the positive feedback means I am a pretty good director of comedy so I’ll take it.

I read a post recently from, as SL calls her, the DQ. She mentioned how you make friends for the time of the show but often not extend past that. I understand that and it’s true in a way because this special cocoon you made of your show will never be the same configuration. However I think she will be pleasantly surprised that we stay in touch. I have made some really wonderful quality friends doing this Theatre thing that I often hang out with outside the theatre. And this was a very special cast. I consider all these folks in OREO friends, whom I hope to spend time with and years with in the future. They are wonderful people – the whole package. Plus they LOVE what I love!

Anyways, I am ashamed to say I have yet to see a Fringe show. There are a few reasons why – I am exhausted after all the rehearsals and prep, my husband has a photography class every Monday night so I am on dog duty, we also had an audition and call back, and I have two dogs that need love and walks and attention. SO tonight I start. On the agenda tonight : Catgut Strung Violin, and Country Shaped Like Stars. I won’t be in the realm of Fringe Viewing stardom like NK or JR and the like, but I plan on those two shows tonight, 3 to 4 tomorrow, and a few on Sunday (I have a very busy weekend with other commitments). Next year I think I’ll just take Fringe Off so I can enjoy the whole thing and maybe even Billet. I have been concerned about Billeting only because of our dogs, but I think they will be at a decent age next year that they can handle it (well maybe not Abby…she hates any kind of change. She’s a strange dog)

On another note, Tim and I went for a call-back for STNY at our local community theatre. We just went cause 1: we’ve never acted in a show together, 2. we thought since we were married the intimacy portions required for the show are there already, 3. we would get to spend lots of time together. Tim also figured I’d be able to help him out as an actor. Now we have not yet heard from the director but figure we aren’t getting cast. Partially because we set ourselves up as a package deal and the director rather a different package. Also,perhaps the reason is the differences between Tim and I acting wise. I mean it’s no secret that I have a lot more experience then Tim and he knows that and accepts that. Not even sure if it was noticeable or not…so that could be a reason as well. Tim is also not as confident on stage as I am. I have some professional roles, and auditions and professional training under my belt so am much more confidante. Although I must admit I find I am not great at cold read auditions. I am much better at call-backs.

Truth be told, I am hoping we don’t get it (as Tim is hoping as well). It’s summer time. There is much socializing to do, camping and trips to take, wine to consume, and I have to sit down with my script for OLT and break it down and prep for the fall. Also I want to audition for Evolution Theatre’s next show so….would rather keep doing the professional stuff. Although I do plan on reading for a show at OLT that I love…and I love the director…so I will do community theatre when it’s something I love to do and a director I’d like to work with --- learning learning learning…it’s all about keep learning.

So,on to my first night of show viewing pleasure. Will report back with reviews and or comments tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Sterling Lynch said...

Hello, little unknown about blog.... :)

Campy said...

Ha ha..I'm keeping it secret.

Sterling Lynch said...

Looks like your secret's out! :)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey