Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ottawa Fringe : My Reviews Late but Done

So ya, these reviews are a little late as Fringe and life were busy. Unlike SL who blogs like a madman, I can't seem to keep up with that speed dude! So in total of fringe shows I am a light weight. I saw 7 shows, plus I saw OREO a bunch of times (but I am not counting that).

First up in Fringe adventures was Catgut Strung Violin. WoW these guys are amazing performers. Their mime technique and little "lazzis" were well executed, full of energy and skill. Great performers. Some of the story I found very effective but some was lost on me in between. The end I did not understand - if someone knows can you tell me? I know it seems to encompass "everyman" at war which I thought was really cool - the innocence of going into war and the brutality all done with humour. I highly recommended this to people as it really was fun to watch and I was engaged up until the end (again I was a bit lost).

Next up was Spiraldive. The sad part about this production was not enough folks saw it. It is a 90 min Fringe show in a Trilogy of shows. This was Episode one. The theatrical convention used of talking to the audience, the bare set of 3 chairs , some paper mache planes, and the large metal contraption that was the Spitfire is perfect Fringe staging. Simple yet very effective. This seemed like something you'd see at the GCTC (although at GCTC I suppose the set would be more involved) it was so polished and professional. The actors were really wonderful and shifted easily from character to character. The only actor that was in the play that didn't seem as grounded at some points in the show, was the taller of the trio. Small quip as he is obviously very talented. Anyways, I was taken in by the story, and want to see more of this trilogy.

The next day I was suppose to see No Exit Upstage, ON Second Thought, and then Enter Screaming. I got one of those on my list that day done. I had heard so much about Countries Shaped Like Stars, that I didn't want to miss it and that night (wednesday) was my only night I
could see it. Good thing I went when i did. This show was always SOLD OUT. And I was NOT disappointed. It is such a simple tale, full of whimsy, fun, music, and heartbreak...just the perfect little package. Congrats to Emily Pearlman ...she's my new hero and everyone - including my - Fringe Crush. I think I was ruined after that to see anything else at Fringe. I certainly hope they get to do this show again and not change A THING! I don’t want to tell the story just in case they remount it.

Next up was Enter Screaming. I think Richard is very clever and smart, and the script is dark and humourous, but I have to say I was not blown away by this show. I had friends in it so hope they aren't offended by that statement.

Closing day, I saw Satanic Panic. Now I like Black Comedy and there was some really good dialogue in this show - I just didn't care for it as a story. I don't know why and can't explain it. Also, I think if you are doing Black Comedy your actors really really need to committ to every line down to their toes to make it really funny. That committment ebed in and out for me. I found Zach Counsil really committed for me and enjoyed him a lot. The other actors are very talented and I had no problems with the direction of the piece. I just think commit more and maybe they would have had me. Maybe it was the smallish audience. Also the main male character spoke so fast I couldn't understand him a lot of the time.

After a snack and meeting up with my hubby it was, No Exit Upstage. Now this is a start of a very clever concept. I am not sure if the general public will be able to relate to the Theatricalness of the show (theatre talk etc.) but I love the looping theatrical convention idea that Nancy incorporated, there is some really clever dialogue. I did find that there was an unevenness in the casting. Nancy is a strong natural actress. Her scene partner did not seem to have the experience Nancy had. They are taking this along to Winnipeg and I wish them all the best for the run there. I think Nancy should keep going with this idea. I enjoyed watching the show
and she has something there. As SL said "a polished preview of a bigger play"

Saw the final show of OREO - well the final on the schedule since we got BEST IN VENUE (hells ya!). My cast were rock stars! Really fun show with a really nice big audience on a nice hot Sunday afternoon. I will miss Team OREO although I believe it's not over, just made some really good friends who I will work with in the future and hang with...YAY.

Went home to eat, freshen up, and back for the BEST in VENUE at Alumni - This is a Recording. I had heard so many good things about this show, and I'll start off by saying it's a start of a good honest production but it's still a workshop script. There does not seem to be, to my eyes nor my husbands eyes, a clear structure. Now he and I both love Virbateum Theatre, and the reason we were both a bit disappointed after the big build we'd heard about this show, is we've seen really amazing Virbateum theatre in Toronto and Vancouver by people I went to theatre school with or from my theatre school teachers, and this particular show was very rough and needs more clear structure. My hats off to the actors for very very honest real and heartfelt acting, but it needs a clear direction. I did like the simplicity of the piece which is what it should be. If they keep going with it and make a clear through line it can be a really lovely piece (there were some really beautiful moments).

One portion which confused me was the very end: I thank Kelly for revealing herself to the audience that way, and it was brave and committed and heartfelt and naked of soul, but I really didn't see why it is in the show when you add up all the other portions. And if she was confessing, I felt Simon should have as well. I know all of us as actors feel we are not good enough, but not sure it was the place for it. I know some people will probably shoot daggers at me for saying the above but as an avid theatre goer and one who has seen a lot of this type of theatre, I am just being honest. Again, hats off to them and they should keep exploring this as it is a really good start.

So all in all this was a great Fringe experience from directing, to my actors, to the shows I got to see. This year showcased the huge amounts of talent that is in this city right now. We have struck the set, and are moving on.....now I have to think of something to get Tim for his Birthday next week...YIKES.

1 comment:

Sterling Lynch said...

Useful thoughts.

I agree that Kelly's bit at the end of This Is A Recording is a misstep, although not a terribly serious one. For me it was the different between a standing-O and staying in my seat. Overall, I thought the show was fantastic. Great performances.

I'm not convinced they needed any more structure then they had and felt it hung well together but, perhaps, that's because I haven't seen verbatim theatre with a more robust narrative structure. In fact, I suspect Kelly's bit at the end was motivated by the desire to give the piece a sense of structure.

I love a good story but I also enjoy a mosaic of stories and I think that is what they were aiming for. And I love that it was our (as in Ottawa) stories.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey